Sunday, November 30, 2014

My Life Without Education (Poem)




I wake up every morning
To see the brightness of the sky
But I feel its dullness
Everyday

My hunger for food is a mood
I hope to be full
But no matter how much I beg
I don’t get full not to ask for more

Oliver Twist you might see in me
But my sight for the future is bleak
Education we fight for
People like me might never win

At 10 years old I don’t know my ABC,
The ABCs to making a living
But the 10s of 10 naira I make from begging
Makes me think I know mathematics

Since I was born I eat with no spoon
But shouldn’t be deprived
From having my children
 Born with a silver spoon

Poverty the disease I live with
Eating deep into the life
I keep with pain

Life we the living all have
But what then is living without a life
If my future is Cautioned with Education
Poverty and Crime I would be armed to fight
With my full might
Till the full moon night

But not now
When no help comes from the sky
But under the ground


Written and composed by Taiwo, Kehinde Oluwaseyi

11 comments:

  1. The poem depicts the status quo of our beloved country,showing the helplessness and hopelessness of the situation. It begs for even a glimmer of Hope at the end, but that would've been a lie...nice piece...painfully true but perfectly depicted..doing justice to the clichè 'The truth is bitter'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dahyor for the very thought-provoking feedback from your evaluation of this piece. Indeed, education is the root to strengthening the nation and no one should ever undermine the words... Knowledge is Power
    Once again, thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought-provoking. We all must think of what we'll do to change the trend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sir for your comment. It indeed underscored the basis for the poem. Cheers.

      Delete
  4. So insightful. Truly, education is the best legacy. More power to your elbow! Nice one sir.

    ReplyDelete

Kindly post your comments, as I anticipate getting back to you on your findings, opinions and suggestion with regards to what you just read.

Thank you.